Roasted Tomato, Asparagus, and Prosciutto Pizza Recipe
Like most couples, my boyfriend and I love going out to eat – especially ethnic restaurants. It is such a treat to live near NYC where we have access to almost any cuisine imaginable. We’re up for almost anything.
However, cooking for him can be difficult. He will not touch anything made with cheese, milk, or eggs. I can’t even use eggs as a binder! Of course baked goods are an exception for him… I digress.
We’re both Italian so I’ve accepted the challenge of a dairy-free pizza. We’ve both declared this recipe a winner! I do not miss cheese one bit on this veggie pizza – loaded with caramelized onions, roasted tomatoes & asparagus, and topped with crispy prosciutto.
- 1 ball of raw pizza dough (I get mine from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 3 tomatoes of your choice
- 3 large shallots
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 6 thin slices of prosciutto
- olive oil
- salt, pepper, red pepper flake, garlic powder
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut off the thick ends of asparagus spears and discard. Slice remaining stalks on an angle into 1-2 inch pieces. Slice tomatoes 1/2 inch thick.
- Lay vegetables in a roasting pan lined with tin foil. Season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and garlic powder to your liking. Drizzle with olive oil and roast for 25 minutes, until the vegetables have softened and begun to brown.
- Slice shallots and garlic. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan and drop in shallots. When they begin to soften, add the garlic & a pinch of salt and cook down until nice and caramelized.
- Once all of your veggies are cooked through, remove shallots & garlic off the heat. Take out veggies from the oven and set aside.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to desired thickness. We like it thin and crispy! Transfer to a pizza pan, baking sheet, whatever you have – brush the top with olive oil and pop into the oven. I like to pre-cook my dough a little to achieve a crispier crust before placing toppings on my pizza.
- Check on your pizza dough occasionally, and remove from the oven when the edges begin to brown.
- Start layering your ingredients on the pizza. Shallots and garlic first, then roasted veggies. Slice your prosciutto into thin strips and lay on top. Cook for another 10 minutes or so, until the ingredients warm up again and the prosciutto crisps up. Sprinkle pepper, garlic, and red pepper flake as desired. Enjoy!